n

Monday, 10 April 2017

Hair update : I hate my hair

My skin has gone to shit. . .Again!


I currently hate my hair, and no, its got nothing to do with any deep set psychological inferiority complexes. I've dealt with that already. I just don't like the way it looks, feels, and behaves.I should come to terms with the fact that this is how my hair was meant to be but the thing is, I've seen it do better, much better. I can't put the blame entirely on the fro though what with my noodle based diet and lack of deliberate sweat inducing situations in my life, but all thats about to change. I told you I'm going to get my life together this year. I think I've sorted out my internal conflict with the gym and convinced my dad to buy me a new pair of training shoes. I even got my hair braided for gym. You know how this goes mos. Washed  hair = wet hair and wet shrunken hair doesn't really suit me. Washing my hair and scalp while stretched and in braids is much more convenient for me. Wang Verstaan?





Volume; DOLOLO



My hair regimen hasn't changed much except that I've had to keep my hair covered for spiritual reasons for the past three months. I've introduced shea butter and a satin bonnet thing that looks nothing like the packaging and is still too tight for me too fall asleep in. Did I ever confess to you guys that I don't cover my hair when sleeping? yep. Drag me. The melanin Gods didn't bless me with the amazing super power to sense it when the silk doek I have has come off at night so I stopped bothering all together. No wonder it looks the way it does. Don't be fooled by the images. This hair has gone to sh*t. The ends are so frayed and whispy you can see right through them, there is a very distinguashable difference between the its thickness and colour at the roots vs the shaft and I can't even wear a decent bun for an hour before the hair shrinks into a steelwool, skuur pot, straw looking like, dry grass texture thing. Theres no saving or reviving it at this point.







What I'm going to do is get some sating/silk fabric and have it sown into cute pillowcases when I  get home. I hope my grandmother can still see well.I'm also going to spend the better part of the next 12 months in braids and replacing my old hair for my new hair by chopping a few centimeters  off every month. My first set of braids for the year are pretty tight, in there more positive manner of speaking thanks to Thandeka. I followed my pre braiding ritual 3 days before she came to do my hair.
I used coconut oil to pre-poo before washing it with my Johnsons baby shampoo and deep conditioning with my favourite ORS proteing hair mayonnaise. I then followed that up with my favourite homemade moisture concoction recipe to soften the hair up and applied some castor oil and shea butter to seal in that moisture and stretch the hair. Did that help? Nah fam. It shrinked to half its length 20 minuted into the braiding process, and this is after I spent 2 days in those twists refreshing them after one night to ensure I get the most stretch. I'm done holding on to dead weight. These old kinks gatstah go!





Hopefully my bid not to self sabotage as I work out and ween myself from the university student diet will help spur my seemingly hibernating follicles into producing some new coils. If the money Gods come through for me in the second semester, ya girl might even get herself a wig.
I know a big chop would be the best route but nah fam. I don't more reasons to get bullied at 21 going on 22.  So pray for me neh I'll keep you posted. Thanks for reading.


Did you enjoy this post? Have any thoughts? Please share them in the comments  below. I absolutely love hearing from you guys.Click here to Subscribe to ze blog so you never miss an update.

14 comments:

  1. Back to back braids for 12 mnths? Just be careful not to destroy your hairline.
    Also I think your hair may have needed more moisture than protein. Mayo leaves my hair feeling hards so i always have to do a moisture treatmemnt after & I also have tight shrinkange but I honestly dont mind it cause I get to have a short afro when i want to. Theres a channel called "green beauty" if you havent seen it already on yotube, very informative about 4c hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eish babes, There's nothing i haven't tried. This hair is old and damaged.Its got to go. I'll be taking strategic breaks in between. The hairline will havento survive. Lol. I might weave once i find a style i Like. I've never heard of that channel. I'll checknit out. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Living in Qatar I don't hae much choice than to bradmy hair. Firstly, there is limited range of products in the market. Secondly, the heat - I don't need to explain how hot it gets here lol. My only option is to braid my hair to combat shrinkage and damage. I went natural in 2013 just before moving here, I ended up relaxing my hair after almost 2 years. I was too obsessed with having my hair grow rather than it being healthy. Fast forward to today, my hair is 3 months shy of 2 years natural and in braids. I have found that "being lazy" with my hair has helped it grow in the sense that I'm not obsessing over products anymore or looking up other naturals and having hair envy. My hair is the longest it has ever been in my life. Just take it easy, you will eventually find what works for you. P.S I can't wait to come home for vacay to stock up on all the natural hair products currently flooding SA lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay i had to do a quick google mal search of Qatar and wow! Thats Arabian neh. I don't imagine they have a lot of products for black hair hey. And i totally get it. Leaving the hair alone and moving a lot seems to do it hey. Do u braid your own hair? Maybe this is a business opportinity if of course theres a considerable amount of african haired ladies there. Wishing you a safe return.

      Thanks fkr stopping by. Don't be a stranger.

      Delete
    2. There's a small braiding circle here so it's crucial to find someone that will not charge you a ridiculous amount of money (you know if you convert it to your country's currency lol). Wanna try crochet box braids so I don't have to spend this extra money anymore. Currently miss my fro so I will be removing my braids this weekend.

      Delete
    3. Girl I know what you mean. I have been eyeing those braids wigs. . .well wigs in general for a while now. They're quite pricey but also a really good investment if you get a good quality on hey.

      Delete
  3. I am actually thinking of cutting my hair short because it is becoming a maintenance I don't need. I have to say that your hair looks considerably healthy though, as for the hair line we all have challenges in that department.
    Something not related to hair, what product did you use on your brows? I love them! I am trying to fill mine in to be thicker because naturally I have thin brows. Mwah
    http://www.sindisosdiary.com/2017/03/my-personal-style.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey girl. Nope, don't let them pics deceive you, that hair is old and played out, can't even get a decent twist-out from it anymore and those ends, eeek!
      I use the essence brow liner pencil and the LA girl cosmetics concealer in fawn. let me know how that goes neh.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. The redesign tho! I don't have much encouragement (I take scissors to my hair to often and too easily to speak) but the braids look amazing. We need to talk about the satin bonnets tho. Wows nje.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually ended up liking this thing coz i can stuff my braid into it for bed and it does't slip off at night so hopefully last longer but lol, it is Not cute. Actually learned that day that satin is a weaving pattern and not a kind of fabric , or am i wrong. R80 for this thing. I feel scammed .😢

      Delete
  5. sorry about your hair going through the most. your braids are beautiful! wigs are also a great protective style option

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you boo. Sigh I'm most deff looking into investing in wigs but Money Gods are look at me like : "lol, nah"
      But i speak it into existance. Thanks for stoppinf by Lungi 😘

      Delete
  6. Damn, it sucks when your hair's doing things you don't understand. I think it's a good decision to keep it away for a bit and slowly get rid of the unhealthy ends. I hope your gran can pull through with the silk/satin pillowcase cos you know they're a must if the bonnet's not your friend. Good luck and keep us posted ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg. . . Aisha commented in my Blog. Aaaaaaah. 😆😆😆🙌🙌🙌 I have officially made it in life. Nobody can tell me nothing now 🙅🙅!!! I have made it!
      Lol. Yeah. It sucks. It has to Go. Gran was in a bit of a mood when i visited her, someone keeps stealing her avocadoes. I decided to stick to the thingy in the pictures. I got used to it after a few nights.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. . .but play nice neh. . .